A fetal scan is done to produce images of the fetus to check the growth of the baby. It can also check for various possible problems and help to diagnose them accordingly. Fetal Anatomy Scan in Siliguri is highly recommended by doctors for pregnant mothers because as it ensures the proper development of the fetus in the pregnancy months. Routine tests and scans are an integral part of the pregnancy period.
Table of content:
1. What is a fetal scan?
2. Why it is done?
3. What can you expect?
What is a fetal scan?
A fetal scan is basically an ultrasound or sonogram which is an imagining technique using sound waves to produce images of the fetus in the uterus. It is done to monitor the fetus and check on the development. It is done during the first trimester to confirm pregnancy followed by scans for regular check-ups. There are two main types of scans done.
- Transvaginal ultrasound- In this scan, a wand-like device which is known as the transducer is placed in the vagina of the mother, and sound waves are sent out to gather the reflection. This is generally done in the early stages of pregnancy.
- Transabdominal ultrasound- In this ultrasound, the transducer is moved over your abdomen.
Why is it done?
A fetal Anatomy Scan in Siliguri is a normal pregnancy screening done to check for various factors. These include:
- Confirm the pregnancy and location: Some fetuses tend to develop outside the uterus, in the fallopian tube. Fetal scans help doctors to detect the location and pregnancy.
- Determine the baby’s gestational age: knowing the age of the baby helps in figuring out your due date and makes the tracking easier during pregnancy.
- Confirm the number of babies- Fetal scans helps in figuring out if you have multiples or not.
- Evaluate the baby’s growth- This also helps them keep a check on their growth and other aspects like movement, breathing, and heart rate.
- Study the placenta and amniotic fluids-The placenta and amniotic fluid can cause complications if they do not function properly. Fetal scans help evaluate the condition.
- Identification of birth defects.
- It helps in diagnosing complications like bleeding or other problems.
- Determining the fetal position before delivery.
What can you expect?
In the fetal scan, the healthcare provider will measure the anatomy of the baby. They print or store images of the fetus during the scan for examination and you can be given a copy as well. You can make out the face, hands, arms, and legs of the baby depending on the stage of pregnancy and position. Such scans provide reassurance to the parent that the baby is growing and developing in a healthy manner.
Fetal Anatomy Scan in Siliguri is done with proper sanitation and hygiene to ensure the safety of both the mother and child.